Monday, February 23, 2009

The Value of Free

Is free-dom killing America?

A very good business man once said, "if it's free, it has no value."

I look around at sharing that the Web 2.0 environment has created and I wonder if the "free" exchange of ideas, technology and information is what's killing the economy.

Think about it...back in the day, if you had a great idea, or figured out how to do something better than someone else, you packaged it up and sold it.

Now, people are developing technology, sharing information, providing services...all for free. And as stated above...if it's free, does it have value.

Take Google. I get on Google at work, type in the name of a company I saw over the weekend and get the scoop. I don't click on any ads...I don't buy anything, and the only "cost" is that of my company to the internet provider. Google gets nothing.

I really don't know where I'm going with this yet...but it seems to me that free nature of our economy is currently crashing on itself. and maybe what we need is less 'free-dom'...

sPb

No comments: